Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mt Rainier


This is a picture of me and Mount Rainier. I've been there three times; the first right before the onset of symptoms a decade ago and the third being last summer.

The first time I was there was just before my junior year of high school. I was a tennis player and in great shape. Following the hike, I had significant pain in my thumbs, which then spread to my other fingers, my hands, and ankles. Over the next couple months, the pain spread to every movable part of my body, and exhaustion set in. Over the next year, I never felt rested and I never felt physically comfortable. As tired as I was, I couldn't relax in my body.

I was diagnosed with lupus late spring of that year, and after much trial and error, we found a drug that worked for me. By late that summer, my symptoms were tremendously improved. The following summer, my family hiked again on mount rainier. I had my dad take a picture of my mom on my back, just to send to my rheumatologist. I was thrilled but, being back at that same spot, anxious the trend might reverse itself.

The third trip to Mt Rainier was this past August. In the moment this picture was taken, I really just felt like 'I made it!'. It had nothign to do with the mountain; the hike wasn't particularly challenging. It was that I was there with my family, which was no longer obviously worried about how I felt, and with my boyfriend, for whom I am so grateful to be able to make time in my life and for whose daily life I have energy left to care about. I was there after taking the ny bar exam, after having been able to go away to the college and law school of my choice, without my health compromising the experience.

I worked hard to get there, and here, but the reason I am asymptomatic is because I'm on a drug that works for me. My doctors were educated about Lupus, I was fortunate enough to have access to excellent healthcare from diagnosis through monitoring, and extremely lucky that, for whatever reason, my body responded dramatically to treatment.

I'll be running the NYC Marathon in November to raise money to improve diagnoses and treatment options for everyone with Lupus who is not so lucky, and for a cure for them and, quite honestly, for me.
Please consider supporting my efforts for Team Life Without Lupus: https://www.firstgiving.com/katemagaram.
Thanks!
kate

2 comments:

  1. I remember that first trip to Mt. Rainer Kate! If I recall correctly you were plagued with an enormous amount of mosquito bites and I with a 'mystery rash' on the back of my legs (which turned out to be sunburn, haha); both leading us to an early departure from the backpacking extravaganza! Good for you for making the trip back and good luck in your running for a cure efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linds!
    I just moved apartments and found a bunch of pictures of us from that visit-- the hike and the hot tub :)

    ReplyDelete