Sunday, May 9, 2010

Clockwise

I'm that annoying person who half the time runs against the flow of traffic, though there seems to be enough width for everyone. I do it partly because I assume switching my rotation evens me out, prevents one side from getting more stress than the other as I run park loops.

I know that reasoning holds up on a track, but I may be extending it to satisfy a touch of OCD. Plus, I enjoy reading everyone's tshirts and exchanging a smile or a look that, at least in my head, acknowledges a common understanding of the suckiness that is part two of the hill at the northwest corner of the park that's hidden behind the tricky curve by the pool. On the suckiness scale though, running that hill ranks significantly better than biking it, which rocks. It feels like one for the little guy-- or at least one for the wheel-less guy.

The 6 mile loop took me almost 80 minutes again, and I'm pretty unimpressed by my pace. I'm telling myself the right things, that it's just the time to be getting into running shape and building a bit of endurance, and that speed doesn't matter. It's just that I want to be able to feel and mark my progress. What I really need is to buy a GPS watch so that I can focus on building mileage as I weave through the little dirt trails. Or perhaps someone can buy me a chart with gold stars. Kidding..... mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment