Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sugar at the End of the Tunnel

Dirt is my friend. Gravel is okay, too. Running in the road for more than half an hour is just jarring. Each strike of the asphalt reverberates up my leg and mini-slams my knees. Even my back feels the stiffness on landing; a bit like jumping off something a tad too high and hitting the ground without remembering to bend your knees at the right moment.

The bridle trail is the best dirt. There's the reservoir loop and winding, weaving in and out of the shade of the trees. The bottom half of it is usually fairly empty- probably because it doesn't lead anywhere (meaning: in, out, or to a pond or meadow). It's quiet and peaceful, and feels like it's for runners.

I like the tunnels, too, the underneaths of the foot bridges. They're darker than they seem like they should be, given the openness on each end, and cool. They smell like earth and, running through, the dampness gives me goosebumps on my arms. It should be a little creepy, but it isn't. Entering from the bright sunshine yesterday morning, sun spots blocked my ability to see the dark ground in front of me, which was almost disorienting. It's happened before in the tunnels, and I have to shift my gaze from the ground about ten feet ahead of me to the horizon. Otherwise, I misstep the way I do when I think there's one stair more than there actually is at the bottom of a flight.

Soon after the tunnel at the bottom of the bridle trail, I caught up with the man I had tried to set my pace to in the beginning. He was wearing a tshirt from a race, and as I caught up, I could finally read the sponsor's name on the back, Entenmann's. As in donuts. Chutzpah in sponsorship. Go figure.

As much as I looove Entenmann's chocolate glazed cake donuts, I stuck to something lighter. I snacked on fruit leather and Gatorade during the actual (80 minute) run because my stomach needs some practice digesting and running at the same time. So far, so good on that front. I've been able to avoid the side cramps by ingesting a bit at a time during the one minute of ten that I walk. I think the constant little stream of sugar and water keeps my energy level more stable. The fruit leather is not so easy to eat though, so I'm moving on to fruit snacks.

All in all, I felt good and rather proud of myself. That is, until an email from my father telling me he had a nice 12 (12!) mile run. Still works for me though-- discipline goes well with a side of luck, and I'll take those genes.

No comments:

Post a Comment