Monday, May 24, 2010

Short and Speedy

Thirty minutes is a short one for me now, short enough that I'm greeted with a "back so soon?" when I walk in the door.

10 minutes running, 10 minutes of racing up stairs, and 10 more flat minutes to finish it off. It's the coolest it's been in quite a while, but I was dripping sweat half way through the stairs.

I'm trying to build in a bit of speed and hill work, but haven't a clue what I'm doing or how to incorporate these kinds of training intelligently when a marathon is the ultimate goal. I'll have to read up on what Galloway says.

I exerted myself enough, though, that as I ran, beet red, the last few blocks to my apartment, a man on a stoop wearing a Jamaican flag hat nodded and said "good for you."

2 comments:

  1. too early for speed and hill work. aim now just to get the base work in.

    pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. truth comes out:

    speed work is not just to mix up my marathon training workouts. i'm also participating in the jpmorgan chase corporate challenge in mid june on a team of work colleagues. it's only 3.5 miles, but i'd like to run it at a pace that's not embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete