Thursday, May 6, 2010

Stairs

45 minute run and 2 sets of 5 flights of stairs. The stairs felt pretty good, but the running is still definitely more like jogging. I'm not sure whether it's that I'm still rubbing the sleep (aka gunk) from my eyes or that I don't have enough sugar (the fruit leather is helping though, Mom), or perhaps I just need to get stronger (thus, stairs).

I really have enjoyed Jeff Galloway's book, Marathon, which my Dad had sent to my office the week I committed to this. Galloway's central point is that anyone can run a marathon, the training doesn't have to take over your life, and the key is to focus on endurance over speed and goal times and protecting yourself from injury. He's also got some hepful tips on mind games to play while running, motivation, and nutrition for training. I have no results to show for it, but if you're looking for an encouraging and unintimidating marathon guide, I highly recommend it!

Gallaway is a big proponent of walking breaks. Apparently, it's common (even among serious athletes and marathon winners) both in training and in the actual race to walk one minute out of every 6-10ish minutes of running. The switch between muscle groups helps keep the running muscles stay fresher longer. The important thing to remember is to start incorporating the walking breaks from the beginning, BEFORE you need them. As it's also supposed to help with injury avoidance, I've decided to walk one minute out of every ten on my runs. It doesn't seem to make the running much easier (though I really don't feel like I'm pushing myself with running yet or need the breaks), but the walking does feel like it's helping stretch out my legs as they warm up.

And just because I brought the camera phone today, a shot of one of my favorite stretches. Some of my favorite spots in the park are popular favorite spots, so I appreciate hitting them at such quiet times.



No comments:

Post a Comment