Thursday, September 2, 2010

Crappy run

After a few days of feeling migrainey and generally icky, going to bed in full sweats (that's the grubby clothes and the perspiration) under down, I woke up at 7 to run. If I hadn't already skipped two days, I would have said to hell with it, but I couldn't trash the whole week. I've got to be able to physically (and mentally) get it together to run 16 miles this  weekend. Undermining either getting it togetherness is the last thing I want to do.

And just what I needed- still, hot, humid air and strong sun. Why, oh why am I doing this?! Suck it up. Another four miles down.

Our coach sent around an email last week in answer to questions for several of my group members about missing workouts. It can all be distilled into this: if you miss a day or two or a few, forget it those days and follow the program moving forward; if you miss more than that, pick up where you left off (and that means you're behind, which is apparently 'built-in' to our schedule). I am not good at being behind. Being behind makes me want to give up. I do better being ahead; then I just want to widen my margin of victory. Whatever that says about a few things I might want to work on, it's my inner workings, so, fine. I'm playing my keep-psyched-about-this mind games within those bounds.

As I do the 16 mile run this weekend on Long Island with my bike along caddy staff, the staffer better have some "you are the best runner ever"s and "oh yeah, the first ten miles are much harder than the last six"s and "you look great!"s to throw at me. In marathon training, there is no room for 'just being honest'.

No comments:

Post a Comment