Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Stop, drop and run

I approached Saturday's 16 mile groupless run with a lot of trepidation. I focused on controlling what I could control, which ended up being mostly feeding and watering myself. A big whole wheat pasta dinner and only a single stolen sip of diet coke, and then a real breakfast of oatmeal, a good amount of water and a half cup of coffee.

A good amount of water ended up being not such a good amount of water. Five minutes in and three minutes into some "woods," I realized I had over-hydrated or under-waited before taking off. "Um, this is kind of private, right?"

Stop, drop and run.

Five minutes later:

"Now, this is totally private. Private enough."
"It's not private, it's a golf course! Are you crazy?!"
"Damn. I shouldn't have worn such bright shorts. How 'bout here?"
"Dude, are you crazy?"
"Talk to me when you've got to live with your bladder situation for another 14 miles."

Stop, drop and run.

All went smoothly from there. I chugged along, keeping to the slow but regular pace I set in the beginning. I did an excellent job of keeping my mind off the total distance of the day, the mileage left in the run and how much longer a marathon will be. I'm fine in the moment, I feel good in this moment, I'll have lots of moments that feel fine, just keep it up.

"Nutrigrain!" with the urgency of a surgeon calling for a scalpel! resulted in bar in moving hand within thirty seconds. My crew also rode ahead to check out the turns, calling them out to give warning, and allowing me to zone out and just follow rather than paying attention to to the route. I felt the conservation of mental and emotional energy from getting to be a follower. Spirits were buoyed each and every time I heard proud, strong, amazing, or great. Double points for actually sounding impressed. And the trees, golf courses, and estates kept my eyes busy and the air smelling like warmed grass.

By 14 miles, the furthest I had run before Saturday, I was working harder, but my form never suffered and I was able to pick up the pace for faster finish in the last quarter mile. A beautiful day, fun road crew and feeling the payoff of endurance training meant a good mood lasted throughout. I'm actually excited to go for 18 (after a down week, of course).

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud and you are amazing! Crew is wonderful ----good job!

    ReplyDelete