Friday, June 18, 2010

Corporate Challenge

I could fall asleep at my desk right now. Yesterday I participated in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge, a 3.5 mile race around the park to raise money for the Central Park Conservancy. I had only run twice in the almost two weeks leading up to it and didn't have time to warm up, so I was feeling neither in shape nor peppy. I will admit to a bit of what-on-earth-am-I-thinking-with-this-marathon-thing thinking.

I forced myself to focus on the music and the runners and the road just in front of me instead of how much longer I had to run or how slow (or dead) my whole body felt. I finished in 34:14 (a 9.78 minute mile pace, compared to the 10 min pace of the Japan Run), which I'm pretty happy with.

Then it was back to work until 1:15 or so in the morning, so no run this morning. Juggling lupus, work, and running feels like a lot right now, but I'm hoping that I've come out the other side of the flare, that running and being relatively rested will get easier, and everything will feel more possible with some zzzzs and endorphins.

No comments:

Post a Comment