Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Rheumatologist Update

Quiiiick update: the doc was not at all alarmed by what I was describing. The good news is that apparently how a lupus patient does within the first five years of diagnosis provides a pretty good idea of how the rest of her life will go with the disease. Since I spent a decade after diagnosis with close to no symptoms and no flares (and have never had any organ involvement), this was reassuring. Basically, she said I have lupus and can expect to have little flares every once in a while, and will likely look like what I'm experiencing now.

"I can totally deal with that; sign me up for the occassional bump like I'm hitting now. But you have to understand, I am not going through THAT again. I won't do it." Yeah. I think I forgot that definitive statements and a serious stare will not intimidate lupus away, and that I can't negotiate with my doctor. Luckily, I backtracked to quasi-maturity before I lost her.

1,356 viles of blood were taken. I'm being tested for everything that can be tested for (including Lyme Disease, since I run in the park) and then some. Results should all be back in about a week.

In the meantime, the best thing I can do is up my dose of the drug I've depended on, which is what I did immediately when this started two weeks ago (as effects often take at least a month to be felt). I can (and probably should) work out as long as I don't feel serious inflammation. I should try to rest when I need it. Apparently, while waiting for an appointment, I did just the right thing. Who says endless googling and overthinking won't do me any good?

No comments:

Post a Comment