Friday, June 4, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons.... Sweat.

Not much to say on the health front other than I'm going light on the running and heavy on the scheduling doctor's appointments for next week. I don't feel so bad; it's just that I feel something, and that something is a feeling that has lead to no good in the past.

I started up pilates again with a lesson this morning. What felt like an indulgence when I flirted with the idea two weeks ago now seems justifiable as an investment in my physical, mental, and emotional health. I've learned that although I can suck up just about anything to get through even the most demanding of days, I need an outlet to be able to hang in there. I can either cry it out or sweat it out, and I'd like to move the mix from an equal balance toward more sweat. My contact lenses are getting irritated.

The exertion is cathartic and the challenge of trying to incorporate more advanced moves keeps my mind engaged and me fulfilled with little milestones of accomplishment along the way. Increasing strength in my core, arms, and secondary-for-running leg muscles should enhance my overall fitness and, I hope, make my running easier and more efficient in bitty increments.

I'm planning an easy run tomorrow, and then looking forward to participating in the Japan Run on Sunday. If nothing else, this is all a not-so-subtle reminder to make the best of the moment, take things as they come, stay proactive, and shut off the 'what if's' after the pressure of the current stream of anxious thoughts has been released.

No comments:

Post a Comment